Protect your downloadable software with flexible licensing solutions
Now that you have chosen to sell your software online, you have another important decision: how do you protect your valuable intellectual property and revenue stream, while still ensuring that customers get easy access to your software? Not only do you want to be able to control how and when someone downloads your application, you want to make sure that it is a painless and unobtrusive process for your customer. Kagi offers a wide variety of options to suit almost every need.
License Code Generation
License Code List
The simplest and most widely used option—you provide us with a list of codes, we host and automatically deliver them to your customers after they buy your software. The algorithm used to produce the codes can be as simple or as complex as you wish. Pre-generated code lists can be used when the registration code algorithm is based on a sequence, can be internally validated in your software, and do not use any data from the order. If you are interested in setting up a license code list, or would like more information about this option, please contact us.
Real-time License Codes With Kagi Connect
Your servers receive order transaction data from us via a CGI form and return valid license codes for delivery to your customer. When would you use Kagi Connect? If, for example, your software connects to a database of registered users during activation to validate each license code and/or place limitation on reuse. Or if you have an existing license code generator that works for you and you don’t want to port it into Kagi’s license code system. Note: To use this solution, you must have a server that is available to receive order data 24/7. A DSL or cable modem is not adequate for this purpose.
• Download the Kagi Connect Quick Start Guide
• Download the complete documentation for Kagi Connect
Kagi-Integrated 3rd Party Solutions
Kagi has partnered with Softworkz to offer you a robust, seamless and sophisticated software licensing system with an integrated billing feature that works on both Windows and Mac platforms. With software_DNA by Softworkz, you can choose from 3 levels of protection, utilize an easy 1-step “Do-All” API, interchange license codes between Mac OS X and Windows computers and more. In addition, like Kagi, software_DNA is a pay-as-you-sell service. With the Kagi-Softworkz integration, the software_DNA fee-accounting is performed by Kagi and included in your regular Kagi statement — there's no other accounting required. For more detailed information or to sign up, visit www.softworkz.com.
Other 3rd Party Solutions
For your convenience, Kagi supports a variety of other 3rd party software licensing solutions.
- Aquatic: The AquaticPrime framework is a free, open-source, easy-to-integrate licensing solution for Mac software, providing the same level of security used to protect government documents. It uses Kagi Connect to generate and deliver license codes to your buyers. To add the AquaticPrime framework to your software, visit the Aquatic website and download the development tools.
- Nalpeiron: The Nalpeiron Licensing Service is platform agnostic, working on the Windows, Mac & Linux platforms, and enables you to easily add secure, flexible licensing management to your software. It is available as a hosted service or on-site server solution. See the Nalpeiron website for more information.
- SoftwarePassport: SoftwarePassport is built on the Armadillo protection engine and supports both Mac and Windows applications. This technology enables multiple levels of hardware binding and fingerprinting, as well as remote license key delivery with multiple levels of encryption. To learn more, visit the Silicon Realms website.